Bottle Blondes: Tips and tricks for achieving and maintaining colour and condition.

I am a notorious serial hair dyer. After nagging my mum for months and months, I started dying my hair when I was around 12 and have been every colour imaginable. Red, purple, pink, black, brown, green, blue... you name it, I've had it. So when I decided to go blonde I was prepared for the long process of going from my natural medium/dark brown, maintaining the blonde and repairing the damage. I've successfully kept my blonde for over a year now (minus a month when I had a lilac semi) and have impressed everyone I know for keeping a hair colour for so long! Naturally, throughout this time I've learned what works and what doesn't.
  • First thing's first, don't attempt to go blonde if your hair is damaged. It will break and look horrible. Not chic at all.
  • Go to a hairdresser. If you can't afford it (I know how expensive it can be!) go blonde gradually instead of sticking a box bleach on, having an itchy scalp for 40 minutes then orange hair. Get your hair to the desired blonde by lifting it 2-3 shades every time you dye it, leave it a few weeks between dying to minimise damage. The process is longer, granted, but your hair will thank you for it.
  • 'Ash' blonde dyes are best as they contain lilac undertones which will help counteract any brassiness.
  • Invest in quality conditioners and shampoos. I love Aussie products, their 3 Minute Miracle Constructor is a God-send. I use this once a week and leave it on for a bit to maximise it's hair healing potential.
  • Purple/lilac shampoos are now your holy grail. The best I've tried are the Pro:voke Touch of Silver line. I use their Daily Maintenance and Twice a Week Brightening shampoo. 
  • Once a week I use Superdrug's Colour Effects wash in, wash out conditioning colour in 8.1 cool blonde. The violet pigment is a lot darker than what you get with standard purple shampoo/conditioners meaning that it counteracts orange tones and brassiness quickly and effectively. As this is not a shampoo or conditioner I don't recommend using it more than once a week. I usually do it before I leave the Aussie conditioner on for a while. (Usually on a Sunday when the only thing on my agenda is eating a roast dinner!)
As I've blonde for such a long time, my hair is no longer damaged as the only parts that now get dyed are my roots. But obviously when you first take the plunge, it does need a little bit of extra care.

  • Get your split ends off. Just do it, no questions.
  • Redken Extreme CAT will be your best friend for a while. It contains protein and ceramide which will genuinely help with repairing, just don't overdo it.
  • Ease up on the heated tools. I always let my hair air dry, and only use straighteners once a week, using heat protector!
Finally, do not go blonde if you're not committed. It's an investment, a process and a lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment